With temps on the rise, summer has finally arrived in full swing! This summer we are once again offering our Heat Relief Program through a grant from Duke Energy Progress & Duke Energy Carolinas. These grants allow our agency to purchase and distribute fans to eligible residents of Henderson County in need of relief from the heat. To be eligible for a free fan you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be age 60 or older
- Those under 60 must have a disability
- Resident of Henderson County
- Have a home situation where a threat to the person’s health & well-being exists (or…it is hot in here!)
Fans are limited to one per household. To take advantage of this program, stop by our office at 105 King Creek Blvd, Hendersonville, NC 28792, Monday – Friday 8AM – 4:30PM. Call 828-692-4203 for more information.
Henderson County is seeing most days hitting the high 80s / low 90s. We would like to encourage you to check in on your older adult neighbors and make sure they have the resources to beat the heat. With these high temps, we need to be aware of how the heat may affect us. Here are some hot weather tips to keep you and your friends and family safe.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Water is best. Keep caffeine and alcohol at a minimum.
- Dress in lightweight, breathable clothing.
- Stay inside during extreme heat.
- Remember to wear sunscreen.
- If you don’t drive, please do not wait outside for your ride. Stay inside until they arrive.
- Take a cool bath or shower to bring down your body temp.
For more additional tips and more information on beating the heat, check out this list from the Center for Disease Control: Heat and Older Adults.