Storms affect Western North Carolina each year. These storms can cause widespread power outages and roadblocks for several days. Please make sure to check in on your senior neighbors to make sure they are safe. Below you will find a suggested checklist that will help you prepare for major storms.
Meals on Wheels (MOW) and the Sammy Williams Center (SWC) will follow the same policy for tropical storms as we do for winter storms. If Henderson County Schools close, MOW will not deliver and SWC will be closed. If schools are open, even on delay, MOW will deliver (to the best of our ability) and SWC will be open.
Storm Supplies Kit
- Supply of water (1 gallon per person per day, replace every 6 months)
- Supply of non-perishable packaged or canned food and a non-electric can opener
- Change of clothing, extra socks, sweat suit, underwear, rain gear and sturdy shoes*
- Blankets and/or sleeping bags, pillows and sheets*
- Personal items (towel, washcloth, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, deodorant, dentures and cleaner, hairbrush and comb etc.)*
- A first aid kit
- Prescription medications and oxygen*
- A battery-operated radio, flashlight. Plenty of extra batteries*
- Extra cash
- A list of family physicians, prescriptions and any special medical conditions*
- Family information (address, phone number etc.) *
- Alternate heating and cooking source
* Shelter supply kit: If you choose or must go to an emergency shelter, these are the suggested items to take with you.
- Council on Aging for Henderson County 692-4203
- In case of a true emergency call 911
- For transportation/transfer to a designated shelter call Henderson County Emergency Management at 697-4527
- For road conditions call 511